Turning one is a big deal for me. For months leading up to Kamille's first birthday I was periodically emotional over the whole idea of no longer having a "baby" and I thought that somehow the very special days would be over and behind us. I was counting the months down with a "glass half empty" perspective, each month being one less month of maternity leave and one more month closer to one year. In fact, I was much like Grover in the book Monster at the End of this Book (read the actual story at this link!) I approached the end of Kamille's first year of life attempting to stall each day, begging for someone to slow down the pace of it or prolong reaching the end of the year in fear that it would all be horrible on that day. Maybe it had something to do with having to go back to being a working person and leaving my life as the domestic diva that I had surprisingly turned into. I absolutely loved being a new mom and I loved being home with my Kamille and I didn't want anything to change. But as Grover finds out, at the end of the book, its just him. He is the loveable, furry and cuddly monster at the end of the book and there was nothing to worry about all along. And that is what happened to me. Despite all of my emotional mess leading up to it, I woke up on January 9, 2008 to just a regular day. I woke up to the sound of her waking up in her crib. I opened one eye and slowly the other and took a look around. It all seemed to be right. Kamille was still my super sweet wee girl. I made sure to documented every bit of that special day in photos and it went on without any tears from me.
Regardless of what was going on for me then, this past year I was determined to celebrate each month and do everything to soak up each day of that very special first year for Karis. This time around, I was aware of how fast it would go and how special it truly is. I have had an amazing year. And there have been times when I thought that it went by at a nice and leisurely pace and there are times when I look at photos of my newborn Karis and it feels like it was just yesterday.
We have loved her up so much! And not only have I seen her grow and change so much, but also remembering who Kamille was one year ago and being amazed with all the changes that she has been though with is all. She has grown up so much as well.
So in these last three weeks I am going to soak up all that still-under-one-year newness of my baby girl and also be amazed by all of her big girl skills that she has learned along the way.
It really is incredible how a small person can change in such a short, but long period of time.
| my littlest girl, then and now. xoxo |
The only thing having more babies has taught me is that at 1 year old, they're still a baby!! Even at 2, Cordelia is still my baby girl. I think the no-diapers, no-crib thing seals the big-girl deal for me. I'm keeping her in her crib FOREVER!! ;)
ReplyDeleteI had a harder time this time than with Kaya. I think because it's my last 'baby'. For about 2 weeks leading up to Brennyn's bday I was really emotional and sad. Fortunately, the day came, and I snapped out of it and was able to really enjoy the day and appreciate her amazing growth over the year.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it the craziest thing, feeling like they've been with you forever in one moment and that they just arrived in the next?
I love the monster at the end of the book analogy. Don't worry, the babes just keep getting cuter and more fun after one:)
ReplyDelete