Not sure if it was the breaking of the clouds, the mild temperatures or the fresh air, but for some reason this outing was just what our little family needed. A return to the things we love doing the most. Being. Being outdoors. Being together.
The opportunity to take photos in natural light (yay!) had me feeling inspired and I just loved capturing my girls rediscovering the beach.
We stayed for morning snack and enjoyed trail mix and hot chocolate.
Later in the day as I downloaded my photos and thought about how great these types of little adventures are. They're nothing and everything all at once. They are insignificant moments in the span of our lifetime, but incredibly worth capturing and remembering because they are the days that I suppose I will look back years from now and recall how precious and short they were.
While I waited for my photos I opened up a video link from a friend (Thanks Erin!) who had sent me it in an email a while back. I had had this link open on my desktop for a couple days now and was waiting for an opportunity to watch it. I was prepared for tears (the email said 'grab a tissue'), but I wasn't prepared for this video to reflect my exact thoughts that I had just had. It was the perfect time to watch this video. Seven and a half minutes of my time was consumed by a beautiful reminder to cherish these days with my girls. To love them up each and every day and live in the moment of their smallness today because one day they will be grown adults and making their way, away from me.
Ironically, while sorting through emails later in the night, this exact video had come through in another email from a friend earlier this week (Thanks Heather!). This video is meaningful and worthy of sharing. My two girlfriends knew it, I know it. It holds a message that I want to remember all through my parenting years.
Great post Kris. In my job I am reminded on a daily basis to appreciate every moment as sometimes life can throw you the unexpected. PS. cam wants to know if Kevin is peeing in the pic of him and the girls facing the water :)
ReplyDeleteNormal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return. ~Mary Jean Iron
ReplyDeleteOne of my favourite quotes!!!
Ha! Erin, it totally looks like that doesn't it!! No he wasn't! ; )
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures of your family outing! Those mini-getaways are my favourite...not too far from home, and all worth the while it takes to pack up to get ready and go.
ReplyDeleteI watched the video yet again, and I need to remind myself everyday that "We can't change our children...only ourselves!" Love it! :)
perfectly ordinary days
Isn't that video amazing and just so very true. Sometimes we need to take a step back and remember the smaller moments. I want to remember them forever!!
ReplyDelete