Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bath Time!



If there was a smell that I could bottle up just to remember forever it would be that of a new born baby.  There is something special about the smell of a goopy new baby.  And its strange that a goopy baby can smell that good considering its been sitting inside a body for nine months or so.  None the less, it is a smell that is nearly impossible to preserve and save for later.  So when Karis was born, I asked the nurse if we could prolong her first bath for as long as possible just so I could savour that newborn smell. Afterall, that white goop is good for their skin, so why wash it and its scent away so soon!!??

However, that first bath is inevitable and the next best smell is that of a fresh baby who has been bathed in the hospital's best choice - Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo.
a little bottle of golden deliciousness

And so try as I might to recreate that smell at home, nothing compares to the smell of your baby in its first days of life.  That is the one smell I wish that I could bottle up.  

Today, I still love a good smelling girl.  I sample the smells of different bath wash, shampoos and soaps to see how delicious my girls will be as they get tucked into bed after their bath.

My girls love bath time!  Splashing around in the big tub, playing with tub toys and getting all soapy.  For the girls, its the best way to wind down a day of play.  For me, its all about washing chalky hands, dirty flip-flop marked feet, and food stained faces - all evidence of a great day of play and fun.

In our home bath time immediately follows dinner and all depending on the events of the day, its my favourite time to watch the girls interact, or it can feel like just one more chore or thing that I-just-don't -want-to-do that I need to get through.  You see, my bathtub is DEEP.  When we bought the house, we thought it was a fantastic kid's bathroom.  I envisioned filling it up so our children could learn to float and do other fun things, or myself taking long soaks by candle light, but really I haven't done either of those things.  And the positions that I have to bend in to clean the girls can sometimes be an ab and lower back workout in itself.  However, just sayin.  See for yourself.....
no joke, this is pregnant me, bathing kamille.  don't laugh.  this is why it is sometimes a chore. 

At night, when I bring Karis up to bathroom she kicks her legs with excitement.  She will one day be our swimmer.  She has no fear and thoroughly enjoys splashing, being splashed and rolling around.  She is also a very serious "bath toy" player.  She gets down to business when she gets in the tub, taking each squirty-squeeze animal out of the basket, giving it a smile and a toss before her big sis gets in and steals them all away from her.

Kamille has become slightly reserved in the tub as she has gotten older.  She's got such long hair so her bath time is pretty much the business of getting all that hair washed - another chore part!
All of this hair now requires big girl shampoo and conditioner.  And we'd be useless without our Boon Flo hair shower thingy.  Its ideal...and I suppose the best thing about having a deep tub is that Kam can sit right under it, so its not awkward for her.
My most favourite part of bath time is watching the girls grow to enjoy it together.  Initially Karis would just lye there and take all the splashing and kicking from Kamille, but now that she is sitting and "taking charge" of the toys, its neat to see them laugh and splash around together.
they are just so cute together

And once their hair and bodies are washed, teeth are brushed and jammies are put on I get to snuggle up to each one as I tuck them into bed and get one last smell of their delicious bodies.  Such a sweet way to send them into a good night sleep.  
evidence of good fun in the tub

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful journal and great photos too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am having a lot of fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love the pic of you bent over the tub!!!! Too funny!

    You're blog rocks sista!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO!! That picture of you bending over is HILARIOUS!!

    Get rid of the Johnson's! Stop poisoning my nieces! That stuff is toxic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that pregnant pic of you washing Kamille! It's a bloody chore and a half. I remember telling Paul "I'm just toobig to bathe Chloe....it HURTS!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahah, love the pic you bending over!! we also have a deep tub :)

    ReplyDelete